A brief history of the Hotel Kreuzbergpass

A short family history

The Monte Croce Pass is the easternmost pass in Alto Adige, an ancient mountain passage between that region and the Veneto. First used by the Romans, this pass was an important medieval trade route between North and South and played a decisive role in shaping the culture and people of Alta Pusteria. Up until 1919, the Monte Croce Pass marked the border between Austria and Italy and was the scene of bitter military conflicts during the two world wars. In 1956, Michael and Hansi Happacher acquired the former guesthouse on the pass, and so began the first chapter of the history of the Hotel Passo Monte Croce at Sesto: a story which has now lasted over 60 years.

 
History KreuzbergpassHiking in the Dolomites

 
Hard work, a pioneering spirit, and the many excellent improvements carried out over the years have turned the former guesthouse into a modern 4-star hotel: an epitome of local hospitality, and a place which stands out for its unique architecture and prime location in the middle of the Alto Adige Dolomites.
History Passo Monte Croce | KreuzbergpassHistory Passo Monte Croce | KreuzbergpassHistory Passo Monte Croce | KreuzbergpassHistory Passo Monte Croce | Kreuzbergpass
 

Hotel
Kreuzberg
Timeline

 read more

Hotel Kreuzberg 1956

1956
The inn is purchased by Michael and Hansi Happacher, who had previously run the Rifugio Comici at the foot of Cima Dodici. Thanks to a number of first climbs achieved in earlier years, Michael Happacher had been one of the most famous mountain guides in the Upper Adige region.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1957

1957
The first ski lift is constructed in the Upper Pusteria valley, right next to the Hotel, facing the steep rocky sides of Croda Rossa and Cima Undici. Today this slope is approved by FIS (Italian Skiing Federation) for slalom races.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1964

1964
Fire! Thanks to the voluntary help of neighbours, the restaurant, ski lift and ski school are quickly restored.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1972

1972
Helga and Ricky Aichner get married and gradually take over the management of the family enterprise.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1978

1978
Purchase of the Popera Inn, which is also located on the Pass, followed by the acquisition of a third building. Renovations and expansions over a number of years lead to the establishment of two annexes, “Verena“ and “Christina“.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1983

1983
The state route that used to separate the hotel from the ski slopes to the north of the building is moved.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1990

1990
Construction of covered swimming pool, fitness centre and suites in the Verena annexe.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1993

1993
Building of the St. Michael's Chapel as thanks, that Much has survived the fall at Friuli.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1995

1995
The Golf Driving Range is established.

Hotel Kreuzberg 1998

1998
Construction of Plaza between the Hotel and the lawn/ski slope.

Hotel Kreuzberg 2000

2000
“After 2 years of dust and masonry debris, we’ve made it!“ The main building has been enlarged and improved; new guest rooms and suites have been added, the ”Orangerie“ and “Stube” rooms have been constructed, as well as the “Zwergenreich“ restaurant with à la carte menu and the wine cellar, the new kitchen and lobby, a playroom and more.

Hotel Kreuzberg 2001

2001
Great party to celebrate the inauguration of the new Passo Monte Croce Hotel.

Hotel Kreuzberg 2006

2006
50 years of the Kreuzberg (booklet front cover).

Hotel Kreuzberg 2007

2007
The ski slope infront of the house has been widend and constructed a new snowing system.

Hotel Kreuzberg 2008

2008
Anbringung des Gipfelkreuzes am Hausberg.

Hotel Kreuzberg 2009

2009
Farbe kommt ins Haus! Liebevolle Renovierung der Zimmer im Haupthaus.

Hotel Kreuzberg 2010

2010
...

Hotel Kreuzberg 2011

2011
...

Hotel Kreuzberg 2012

2012
Ricky Aichner († 05.07.12)

Hotel Kreuzberg 2014

2014
The rooms in the “Verena” annex and some in the main building were completely refurbished, with new pine furniture, parquet flooring and modern bathrooms.

Hotel Kreuzberg 2015

2015
Refurbishment of 5 double rooms in the main building, all with mountain views.